跳到主要內容

Assignment #2 6 Minute English: Should we fear chatbots?

The following are the words I found that was challenging to me: 


1.provoke (v.)

🔍to cause a reaction, especially a negative one
激起,引起(尤指負面反應)
📝The prospect of increased prices has already provoked an outcry.
物價上漲的預測已經引發了強烈抗議。

🔍to make or try to make a personor an animal angry
激怒,挑釁
📝I was provoked into the argument.
我被激怒,於是吵了起來。



2.sentient (adj.)

🔍able to experience feelings
有知覺力的;有感覺力的
📝It is hard for a sentient person to understand how any parents could treat their child so badly.
通人情的人很難理解一些父母怎麽能如此虐待自己的孩子。



3.sophisticated (adj.)

🔍having a good understanding of the way people behave and/or a good knowledge of culture and fashion
精於世故的,老練的;見多識廣的;很有品味的
📝He was older than me and from London and I thought him very sophisticated.
他比我大,而且來自倫敦,我覺得他爲人很老練。

🔍intelligent or made in a complicated way and therefore able to do complicated tasks
精密的,複雜的;高級的

📝I think a more sophisticated approach is needed to solve this problem.
我認爲要解決這個問題需要更爲高明的方法。



4.coherent (adj.)

🔍If an argument, set of ideas, or a plan is coherent, it is clear and carefully considered, and each part of it connects or follows in a natural or reasonable way.
(論據、觀點、計劃)有條理的,連貫的,前後一致的

🔍If someone is coherent, you can understand what that person says.
(講話)條理清晰的,清楚明白的
📝When she calmed down, she was more coherent (= able to speak clearly and be understood).
她冷靜下來後,講話有條理多了。





5.authoritative (adj.)

🔍showing that you are confident, in control, and expect to be respected and obeyed
專斷的;命令式的;權威性的

📝She has an authoritative manner that at times is almost arrogant.
她愛發號施令,有時幾乎到了盛氣淩人的地步。

🔍containing complete and accurate information, and therefore respected
權威的;可信的;可靠的

📝The book is an authoritative account of the Second World War.
這本書對第二次世界大戰作了非常權威的記述。




留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

Assignment #1 A self-introduction

Hello everyone, I am Lily , I am 19 years old, and my zodiac sign is Scorpio . ♏ I'm from Hsinchu , do you have any fellow villagers? 😍 If I have time, I will go out and  take some pictures📷 , eat delicious food especially  dessert 🍩, and cut a video for the tour. When it comes to sports, I prefer jogging and playing volleyball  . 🏃 My favorite animal is the dog , my eyes light up when I see a cute dog on the road, and I have a very cute puppy at home, its breed is Pomeranian.🐕                    The link below is a video of my trip to Yilan with my college classmates.🎬👇 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MUDQkFp2FkPNjqKBN4ST26MLDWghdzy8/view?usp=drive_link

News in Levels: World’s oldest dog dies

🔗 :  https://www.newsinlevels.com/products/worlds-oldest-dog-dies-level-2/ 🌟Summarize: The news focuses on Bobi, a Mastiff from Portugal who broke the previous Australian Cattle-Dog record by living for more than 31 years, and the plight(困境) of his newborn. ☀ Comment: The reason I chose this news is because I like dogs very much, and I have a dog at home. It is quite old. I also saw that the dog lived a long time and died, so I was particularly interested in this subject. 💖 My impression after reading this news is that Bobi is really lucky to live to an incredible age, because ordinary dogs can only live to be 20 years old at most, but he lived more than 10 years longer than other dogs. Years ago, it even surpassed(超越) the previous record of the Australian cattle-dog Bluey .  I believe it has also experienced a lot of "dog" principles in its long life! 😆 🫨Difficult words:  ❶ incredible (hard to believe) ❷ tough (very difficult) ❸ step in (to take action) 👀 The news: In